Thursday, September 22, 2011

FALLing in love with Japan

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year, and it is a beautiful time of year in Japan too.  We celebrated our 1 year "Japanniversary" on August 28, 2011, and I honestly can't believe how fast it's gone by for us.  I have truly fallen in love with the country of Japan and the Japanese nationals.  If you had asked me a year ago how I felt about moving to Japan, I would have said, "It's part of God's plan, so I'm embracing the opportunity."  Obviously, I was very excited, but I was also VERY nervous about what life would be like living overseas and so far away from family.  My trust in what God had planned for us was the only way I found peace. 

The move here has naturally presented the obvious challenges along the way: the Japanese language is very difficult to learn, navigating through the areas off base can be hard when street signs are all written in kanji, driving on the opposite side of the road does not feel natural (although, I can say that after a year, it's much easier!), and we don't have a Target to run to when you need something!  The biggest challenge has definitely been that Ryan's job Navigating on the C-130 means he's frequently traveling the world and is away from the family more than he's home.  Thankfully, the community here at Yokota is amazing.  The ladies I have become friends with have become my sisters.  We stick together and try to help each other out wherever we are needed, and I feel so blessed to have met these girls.  I've also gotten involved with our MOPS group here as the new Co-Coordinator, I attend a weekly Bible Study that is run by the chapel, the kids and I attend playgroup activities several days a week, I play in a monthly Bunco group, I've joined the Yokota Officer Spouses Club, and I try to attend all of the squadron sponsored events.  (See, Mom, I have lots to keep me busy! :)  We have our ups and downs, but this has definitely become home.  The saying goes, "Home is Where the Heart Is," and my heart is definitely here in Japan!

I'm not sure where the month of September has gone, but I do know that we've had lots of fun.  Below are a few pictures taken along the way.  I promise there will be more to come.  There is never a dull moment in our house!  :)


"Made in Japan"

Catherine is 3 months old!  She's also wearing a dress I wore as a baby.

Matthew's new "big boy" bed!

Matthew's room

Matthew and Daddy reading books before bedtime. 


I hung some small planters from the balcony.  It's hard to see, but I love how they turned out.  :)

Matthew and his best friend, Noah.  They are such sweet boys!

A beautiful rainbow!

Matthew and his friends watching the crazy Typhoon weather from the balcony.  We also had our fire alarm go off, so you can see they were also watching the fire truck below.  Such cute kids!  Matthew is blessed to have such wonderful friends here in Japan.


No comments: