Friday, December 19, 2008

38 Weeks

My 38 week appointment went well this week and we're counting down the days until we welcome sweet baby Matthew into the world - only a few more days! Since I have what they are calling gestational hypertension (a fancy way of saying I have elevated blood pressure), they won't let me deliver past 39 weeks since it could be harmful to the baby. So...they have scheduled to induce me on Tuesday, December 23!! We could have a Christmas baby!

My blood pressure has been lower and lower with each monitored visit (which is twice a week) and the baby is doing great (he's active, has a strong heartbeat and my fluid levels are right on target). We found out that I'm currently 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. Since I am already somewhat dilated, it should make being induced a little bit easier. I was very nervous about being induced at first, but I am actually feeling much better about it now since it will be a controlled environment and I have an idea of how things will progress. Of course, if baby Matthew decides to join us earlier that's okay too (as long as he's ready and is healthy!).

I am reminded daily that I have been blessed with such sweet and thoughtful friends and family. The notes and comments on my blog, Facebook and through email have truly touched my heart. Our faith is in the Lord and we know He will provide a stable and comfortable environment for us when Matthew is born. We could not have asked for a better situation with Ryan having limited duties at work right now while he waits for his training, and with the holidays approaching it means we will get to see family as they come visit to meet our new bundle of joy. We give God all the glory for orchestrating everything in such perfect timing!

2008 has been full of many changes and surprises for us -- finding out we were going to have a baby (that one topped the charts), Ryan being selected to become an Officer, moving to Texas, and dealing with two parents who have had to undergo treatment for cancer (my Mom with breast cancer and Ryan's Dad with prostate cancer). Thankfully, all of the above have had very positive outcomes and we praise God every day for His continuous blessings and mercy. Looking back, we can see how gracefully and wonderfully God has led us through this year and we will continue to seek His guidance as we enter 2009.

As Christmas approaches next week and we welcome our sweet baby boy, we also rejoice in remembering the true meaning of Christmas -- the birth of Jesus and the joy He brought to the world! I can't imagine how Mary and Joseph must have felt as they prepared to have a baby and had to ultimately find comfort in a barn. It makes me truly appreciate the hospital and all the doctors and nurses that have cared for us so far and the warm home we have created for Matthew to grow. Thank you, Jesus, for your love, forgiveness, and many sacrifices that have allowed us peace and comfort as we prepare for baby Matthew's arrival. Without the love of Christ, our world would be so empty.

Praying for each of you and your families this Christmas that you feel peace, love and the joy of the Lord in your heart!

2 comments:

Mary Craig said...

Laura! Oh my goodness! Tomorrow's the big day? I will be thinking of you and saying prayers that everything goes well! How exciting! Can't wait for you to put up pictures! :)

Unknown said...

I am so delighted for you and inspired by your faith and love for the big JC. He will surely bless you and Ryan and baby Matthew tomorrow.

XOXO,
Rachel